Monday, October 4, 2010

First Demo Milestones Passed

We got tons accomplished this past week.  



Mom and I focused on rug/pad/staple removal (I think my hand is going to be permanently shaped into a little staple pulling claw). But it's all done! almost all done.  Realized this morning I forgot to do the coat closet. Damn-it-to-hell!



Then we took out our frustrations on the pantry walls.  We finished totally taking them down today.  This included having to chip out and even off the header for the long wall, which was a half inch lower than the ceiling height. I feared for my life after that was discovered.  But we powered through it and hasn't killed me yet.  It's a win-win, both for me I think.

Also discovered we have the original hard wood floor under all that linoleum in the kitchen.  Not sure of the condition, but if it's salvageable, I'll refinish it too.  Hopefully saving money on not needing to tile the floor!

We've saved all the molding and the lumber from these walls to use to frame out the larger opening to the dining room.  The ironing board cabinet was also removed intact to be converted to a large medicine cabinet for the bathroom.  Why buy new stuff when you can save money by reusing things you already have in your house?

Floor refinishing is scheduled for early November with my real estate agent Heather's husband's family business.  He's third generation, so he definitely knows what he's doing.  I'm confident the floors are going to look amazing.  Can't wait!

Ordered most of the lighting this weekend.  It's all Murray Feiss Parker Place Collection in Dark Bronze.


New dining room sconces

Have my eyes on Woodcraft cabinets from www.unfinished-kitchen-cabinets.net .  As the name implies, they come unfinished, so I can paint or stain them myself.  This way I can postpone that decision without holding anything up! Brilliant. They're made in Pennsylvania, so they're local-ish.  Still looking for capital district cabinet makers too.

Have estimates coming for the squirrel removal out of my attic and new wood storm windows so the wind doesn't blow through the house.  So much to do before winter comes!




No comments:

Post a Comment